I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 10 November 2013

Curried Pumpkin Soup

Growing up my aunt and uncle would have a big pumpkin carving party at their house and one of my favourite things about this party was enjoying my aunt's curried pumpkin soup.  It was always so flavourful and creamy.  I still had some pumpkins to use up so I thought I would make a batch now that  the colder weather has come to stay.  I was having some friends over and found a dairy free recipe so everyone could eat it.  The blend of spices in this recipe were wonderful, especially on the second day.
If you are new to cooking with pumpkins, the best ones to get are the proper sugar or baking pumpkins as they are tastier than the other varieties.

Curried Pumpkin Soup

2 onions, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp ground cardamin 
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes (more if desired)
4 cups pureed sugar pumpkin pulk
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
  1. Cook onions in olive oil over a medium-low temperature, stirring occasionally, until they are tender.  Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 1 minute.  Add the spices and continue stirring for another minute.
  2. Add the pepper flakes, pumpkins, water, broth and coconut milk.  Allow the soup to simmer over low heat for half an hour, stirring occasionally. 
  3. Use a blender to puree the soup in batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment