I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 2 July 2012

Strawberry Onion Jam with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary

I have only been jamming for about a year now but I am really enjoying it.  Last year I tried making a Balsamic Strawberry and Black Pepper Jam and it turned out wonderfully (I've lent the recipe book to a friend but I will post it once I get it back).  I saw this recipe and thought it was definitely worth a try.  One thing to remember with this type of jam is that the flavour really enhances in a couple of months, it is good fresh but if you are able to wait a bit you will taste a completely different wonderful jam.

Strawberry Onion Jam with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary

5 cups thinly sliced sweet onions (about 2 large onions)
1/3 cup water
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
2 1/2 cups finely chopped or mashed strawberries
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 package powder pectin
4 cups granulated sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  1. In a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot, combine the onions and water.  On medium to low heat simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until very soft.
  2. Stir in garlic and rosemary; cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Stir in strawberries and vinegar.
  3. Stir in pectin until dissolved.  Bring to full boil over high heat, stirring often.
  4. Stir in sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Return to a full boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.  Boil hard for 1 minute.
  5. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.  Stir for 5 to 8 minutes to prevent floating fruit.
  6. Ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of rim; wipe rims.  Apply prepared lids and rings; tighten rings just until fingertip-tight.
  7. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.  Transfer jars to a towel lined surface and let rest at room temperature until set.  Check seals; refrigerate any unsealed jars for up to 3 weeks.
*** Makes about five 8-ounce jars

1 comment:

  1. I used this as a glaze on chicken the other night and it was wonderful! I just put a couple of table spoons on a fryer chicken before baking it.

    ReplyDelete