I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Thursday 14 February 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I am a huge fan of Red Velvet Cupcakes but until today I have only ever gotten store bought ones.  I am not sure why it took me so long to try making them but they are very easy to make and taste more amazing than the store bought ones.  I know I have my own biases towards my own cooking but I also like to use the best ingredients when I cook.  I used a good quality cocoa powder and the chocolate flavour in these is amazing.  I know the recipe calls for a lot of food colouring, I tried halving it and they didn't turn out really red.  So I recommend using the full amount if you have your heart set on a red cupcake otherwise half or none is fine too.


I hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!


Red Velvet Cupcakes

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp red food colouring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin cups with baking cups.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until they are light and fluffy.
  3. Mix in eggs, butter milk, food colouring and vanilla.
  4. Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and salt.
  6. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until just combined.
  7. Spoon the batter into prepared cups.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Frost if desired. 





No comments:

Post a Comment