I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Green Tomato Chutney

I hate to waste good produce that I have been working hard to grow all year.  This year we had a late start with our tomatoes because of lack of sun and with fall coming I new that the rains would be coming soon.  The other day it looked as if it was going to start to rain soon so I called on my husband to help me pick the many unripened tomatoes in our back yard.  The whole process took about two hours and now anywhere there is a window that gets sun in our house there are a bunch of tomatoes laying in front of it, just waiting for the chance to ripen.

The past couple of years I have had more green tomatoes than window space and so I have started to make green tomato chutney with the extras.  I usually do this with the cherry and smaller tomatoes because they require less chopping.

Green Tomato Chutney

1 3/4 lb tomatoes, cut into chunks
2 granny smith apples, cored and cut into chunks
1 cup sliced shallots
2 dried chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 inch grated ginger
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 brown sugar
1 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 tsp all spice
1 orange zested
  1. Mix together all the ingredients in a non-reactive pot.
  2. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low boil, stirring frequently for 45 minutes.
  3. Pour into sterilized jars and process according to the size of your jar.
* this recipe makes about a 1 litre of chutney

No comments:

Post a Comment