I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 21 September 2012

Blueberry Basil Vinegar

I am always looking for new and inventive ways to use the different produce we grow at the farm.  Blueberries are one thing we have a lot of, especially since this year we added another 16 bushes to our collection as well as five more of the pink lemonade blueberries.  I already had a knew a lot of different ways to use them but I wanted to try something a little different.  I was very excited when I found a blog called Creating Nirvana because it has a lot of really great recipes that I look forward to trying.  This is one that I decided to start with.
It takes time because you have to allow it to sit for four weeks before canning it but I canned mine last night and it was definitely worth the wait!  I am looking forward to using it in salads all winter when I don't have fresh blueberries available to sprinkle on my salad.

Blueberry Basil Vinegar

4 cups blueberries
4 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup loosely packed basil
1 lemon, zested
  1. In a large glass bowl, crush the blueberries.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
  4. Keep the bowl in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks.
  5. Stir the contents every 2 or 3 days.
  6. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the vinegar into a pot.
  7. Heat the vinegar to 180 F.
  8. Ladle into sterilized jars and leave 1/4 inch of head space.
  9. Apply the lids and process in a hot water canner for 10 minutes.
***If you like you can add some fresh blueberries before you boil the vinegar.
***Makes about 2 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment