I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 19 November 2012

Hazelnut Cake (aka 'The Crunchy Frog')

This is a marvellous dessert that my mother-in-law makes and I have always enjoyed it.  I decided it would be a great dessert for a barbecue I had with some friends the other night because it would allow me to use up some of the wonderful sugared violets my in-laws brought us back from the South of France last year.

A great thing about this dessert is that you can make the cakes in advance and store them between grease-free paper in an air tight container in the freezer to use at a later date.  I love recipes like that.  Especially since it means I can have a gluten free dessert in the freezer on hand for any unexpected guest that may stop by.

The Crunch Frog

6 eggs, separated
6 oz sugar
6 oz hazelnuts
1 L whipping cream

  1. Roast the hazelnuts in the oven to allow the natural oils and flavour to come out.  Do this by putting them on a baking sheet and in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 F.
  2. Wrap the nuts in a kitchen towel and allow them to steam for about a minute.  Then rub the nuts between the towel to remove the skins, do not worry if all the skins do not come off.
  3. Break the hazelnuts into small pieces either by using a food processor or placing them in a bag and using a rolling pin.
  4. Combine the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and mix until blended.  Add the hazelnut pieces and lightly mix.
  5. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
  6. Fold together the egg whites and the egg yolk mixture.
  7. Divide the batter into two greased and floured 8 inch round cake tins and bake at 375 F for about 30-40 minutes.  The cake will rise and fall.
  8. Let the cakes cool and remove from the pans.  Slice each cake in half to make 4 layers.  Ice each layer with whipping cream and decorate.  I like to put candied flower blossoms on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment