I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 20 July 2015

Rhubarb Jellies

A well established rhubarb crap can be daunting to some but exciting to others.  Right now ours are not too big and very easy for us to use up.  When I visited my Uncle's house recently he had plenty to spare and he kindly shared some with us.
There are so many things I enjoy doing with rhubarb, from muffins, to cakes and stewing it but I felt like trying something new.  I looked online and came across a rhubarb special from Chatelaine magazine and the Rhubarb Jellies recipe jumped out at me.  I love jellies and I had everything I needed on hand so I got to work.
These jellies are so easy to make and have a very impressive taste.  They are best fresh but fine kept in the fridge for a couple of days.  When you are slicing them, I suggest small slices because they are sweet and in my opinion it is better to grab a couple than have one that is too big for you to finish.
*These are what Europeans consider to be jellies, but most North Americans would probably call them gummies.

Rhubarb Jellies

1 1/4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 tbsp water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
42.5 mL liquid pectin (half a package)
2 tbsp granulated sugar for dusting
  1. Oil an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a heavy bottom pan, combine the rhubarb, water and lemon juice.  Heat on medium-high until the rhubarb is tender.
  3. Transfer the mix into a food processor and puree until smooth.
  4. Return to the heavy bottomed pot and stir in 1 cup of sugar.  Boil until a candy thermometer reaches 210 (about 2-3 minutes).
  5. Stir in liquid pectin and boil for another 2 minutes.
  6. Poor into the loaf pan and allow to cool and firm (about an hour).
  7. Flip out onto a cutting board and cut into small pieces.  Dust the pieces with sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment