I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 31 July 2015

Zucchini and Basil Frittata

When I have a rare spare moment to myself these days, I go to my cookbook library and flip through one of my cookbooks to try and find some inspiration for future meals.  The other day I picked up one that was given to my husband and I as an engagement gift.  I have tried a few recipes out of it but none recently.  As I was flipping though, I was only a few pages into the book when I found a zucchini recipe.  It is the perfect time of year to stumble across zucchini recipes (Right now I am harvesting between 4-8 from the garden a week!)  Not only did this recipe look tasty, but I had everything I needed for it on hand.  I actually made this recipe twice this week.  It is a great base recipe to use and it is one that is easy to change the basil for another herb or add different vegetables.
The recipe called for two medium zucchinis BUT this does not mean two medium zucchinis from your garden, it means a small one from your garden or two from the grocery store.  To try and save you from preparing too much zucchini and only realizing it afterwards, like I did, I have decided to give you an approximate measurement of how much to use.

Zucchini and Basil Frittata

5 eggs
3 cups zucchini, julienned/matchsticked 
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
15 fresh basil leaves, torn
salt and pepper
  1. Heat the oil over medium heat in an ovenproof skillet.
  2. Beat the eggs together and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper.  Sauté for a minute or two, until it is warmed through.
  4. Stir in the basil and ricotta.  Add the egg and stir for a minute.
  5. Place in an oven at 350.  Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, until it has risen and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment