I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Thimbleberry Rosemary Syrup




Now as the salmon berry comes to an end, the thimbleberry season begins.  I must admit this year is the first year I have tried a thimble berry and I am sorry it took me so long to work up the courage to try them.  I actually prefer them to salmon berries and I am looking forward to experimenting with more recipes this summer while they are in season.
I tried this recipe first simply because it is just the beginning of the season and we do not have many bushes at the farm so I couldn't collect very many.  If you are going to be picking these berries to use in a recipe for the first time you should be aware that they do not keep very well so it is best to pick them the day you plan on using them.  As a heads up I should let you know that they will temporarily stain your fingers a bit too.
This syrup tastes wonderful and I look forward to using it in salad dressings and in marinades.

Thimbleberry Rosemary Syrup

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 cup thimble berries
1 lime, juiced
3 sprigs rosemary
  1. In a small sauce pan bring the honey and water to a boil. Once it boils, add the berries and remove from the heat.
  2. Add the lime juice and rosemary and let step for three to four hours (the longer you steep, the richer the flavour).
  3. Strain.  If necessary push the berry mash against the strainer to release the liquid
  4. Chill and serve.
***If you plan on canning this syrup, please follow safe canning guidelines.

*** I made this again last night but I didn't have enough thimble berries so I combined it with raspberries.  It tasted great!  I am sure it would be great with just raspberries as well.

2 comments:

  1. Or on ice cream.....superb Kathryn, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good! I used it as a sauce over cheesecake. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete