I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 20 September 2013

Grant Loaves

I have a pretty good collection of cook books and I enjoy going through each of them.  There are some that I have had for years with a bunch of post-it flags on pages with recipes I would like to try.  The other day, when one of my sisters was over she pulled out one I had not looked at in a very long time.  Once she left I decided to thumb through the recipes I had flag to see if they still peaked my interest.  I came across this recipe and thought it would go very nice with a butternut squash soup I was planning on having for dinner.

This recipe dates was created by the baker Doris Grant during the second world war and first published in the 1940's.  It is a great bread recipe because it doesn't require any kneading and can be put together rather quickly.

Grant Loaves

12 cups whole-wheat bread flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp rapid-rise dried yeast
1 tbsp molasses sugar
  1. Grease three loaf pans and set aside.
  2. Sift together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
  3. Sprinkle the dried yeast over 1 2/3 cups luke warm water.  After a couple of minutes, stir in the sugar and let it sit for 10 minutes.
  4. Make a well in the center of the flour.  Pour in the yeast mixture and add an additional 3 3/4 cups of water.  Stir to form a slippery dough.  Mix for about 1 minute, working the dry ingredients form the sides into the middle.
  5. Divide the dough among the prepared pans.  Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until the loaves are crisp and sound hollow when tapped on the base.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment