I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Spicy Italian-Style Cauliflower

I came across this recipe while flipping through a cookbook my husband and I were given as an engagement present.  I was feeling guilty because although I had flipped through it several times and liked the recipes that I saw, I had never actually made any.  One day I decided to pick at least one recipe to try and I am glad I did, the flavours in this dish are amazing!  I don't think I would have ever tried combining these ingredients on my own.  I was surprised because even some of the picky eaters I know (and I know many) really enjoyed it.

Spicy Italian-Style Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp capers, rinsed and chapped to taste
2 tsp finely chopped lemon zest
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp black or green olives, pitted and chopped
  1. Remove the over leaves of the cauliflower and trim off the stem end.  Cut the cauliflower into 1/2 inch sliced from the top to bottom, using the entire head, florets and stalks.  The cauliflower will break up as you slice it, leaving you with pieces of varying sizes and shapes.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the cauliflower.  Allow it to sizzle and begin to soften slightly, stirring often so it does not scorch.  This may need to be done in batches.
  3. When the cauliflower begins to soften slightly, add the salt, capers, lemon zest, garlic, chill flakes, and olives.  Continue cooking, stirring often, until the cauliflower is golden brown and the other ingredients have caramelized and the flavours have melded, 10-15 minutes.  As you stir, scrape the pan with your spoon to loosen the caramelized bits that have stuck to the bottom.  Taste and adjust the seasoning with chill flakes, capers and salt.  Serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment