I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Stuffed Eggplant Slices

Up until a few years ago I didn't really have a true appreciation for eggplant.  I have always loved it's colour but now I am just beginning to learn the beauty of this berry.  That's right I said berry, botanically speaking eggplants are classified as a berry.  Anyways this is a great simple recipe that can look very classy and tastes great.
When ever I use eggplant I like to rub it with salt and let it sit for a bit before washing the salt off.  This helps take away some of the bitterness.

Stuffed Eggplant Slices

1 medium eggplant
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp chopped basil
14 oz canned, chopped tomatoes with herbs added
extra basil leaves to garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
  2. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 8 slices.  Brush the slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes without letting them get too floppy. 
  3. Remove from the oven.  Sprinkle with grated cheese and basil over the eggplant slices.
  4. Roll up each slice and place the slices in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish (I used some toothpicks to hold the rolls together).  Pour the chopped tomatoes over them and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts.
  5. Remove the stuffed eggplant slices from the oven and transfer carefully to serving plates.  Spoon any remaining chopped tomatoes on or around the eggplant slices.  Garnish with basil leaves and serve while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment