I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Apple Raisin Bread Pudding

I think Bread Puddings are a great way to use up old stale bread and the crusty ends of loaves.  I will often keep a bag in the freezer especially for the crusty ends and when I have enough in it I know I get to make a special treat!  This recipe is another Google search treasure and the Vanilla syrup recipe in it is wonderful and can be used for many more treats.

Apple Raisin Bread Pudding

  • PUDDING
  • 4 cups soft bread cubes
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 cups peeled and sliced apples
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  •  
  • VANILLA SAUCE
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 7 x 11 baking dish.
    2. In a large bowl, combine bread, raisins, and apples. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, and 1/4 cup margarine. Cook and stir until margarine is melted. Pour over bread mixture in bowl.
    3. In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and pour egg mixture over bread.
    4. Bake in preheated oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and apples are tender.
    5. While pudding is baking, mix together sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup margarine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.

    The original recipe can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment