I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 24 June 2012

Chocolate Cake

I must admit I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic.  I have always wanted to make a molten chocolate cake and this recipe was my first attempt.  The recipe was very easy to put together, it is one I made between courses when we had some friends over for dinner.  It was nice to serve a hot dessert fresh out of the oven with some home made ice-cream.  Everyone thought the were great and the only complaint was that there wasn't any more.

Molten Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup dark chocolate
6 tbsp butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
*optional cocoa or icing sugar for garnish

  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Butter and flour 4 ramekins and tap out the excess flour. 
  3. Melt chocolate and butter together in a hot water bath.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla.  With an electric mixer, beat in sugar one tablespoon at a time.  Continue to beat until the eggs have tripled in volume.
  5. Fold beaten eggs into melted chocolate.
  6. Sprinkle with flour and gently fold into chocolate mixture until it is just blended.
  7. Divide batter between the ramekins and place them on a cookie sheet in the oven.
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they have puffed and the centre has just set and is no longer jiggly.
  9. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar and serve.
The original recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment