I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad

I must admit this recipe one I came across while I was looking at a celebrity blogger during a mental break the other day.  I thought the recipe looked great and since I already had all the ingredients at hand I thought I would give it a try.
It turned out really well and it looks great with all of the different colours in it.  I think this dish would also make a great side served hot. I also plan to experiment by using different dried fruit in future batches

Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth or water
2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
juice of 1 lemon (optional)
honey  (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Cook the quinoa in the broth/water.
  3. In a baking dish, toss the cubed butternut squash with the olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin and nutmeg.  Place it in the oven and roast until the pieces are tender.  About 30 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, squash, raisins, dried cranberries, pine nuts, celery and onion. Toss until it is thoroughly mixed.  
  5. If you would like to add a dressing, mix together the lemon juice, some olive oil and enough honey for you desired sweetness.  Pour over the top and toss the salad once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment