I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 25 January 2013

Marinated Mushrooms

This recipe was a huge discovery!  The marinated mushrooms were a perfect accompaniment for a roasted chicken but the could go well as a side to just about any meat.  It was very easy to make, tasted very sophisticated and allowed me to use it to make a salad with the leftovers.  I love finding recipes so diverse that I can use them for a dinner party one night and then make an entirely new dish with the remaining for lunches!  Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make it up to two days in advance.  Below I have included both the recipe for the original dish and what I did to turn it into a pasta salad.

Marinated Mushrooms

5 cups small white mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup wine vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
1 shallot thinly sliced
2 roasted red peppers, seeded and diced
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme

  1. In a large sauce pan, cover and cook mushrooms and salt over medium heat until the mushrooms begin to release liquid.  Stir the mushrooms once or twice. 
  2. Uncover and cook until the liquid has evaporated (about 5 minutes).
  3. Remove from heat.  Add the remaining ingredients; let cool.  Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 hours.

Marinated Mushrooms Pasta Salad

remaining marinated mushrooms
cooked pasta
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1 cup cooked cubed chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
  1. Combine the marinated mushrooms, pasta, carrots, celery, tomatoes and chicken.
  2. Mix together the oil, vinegars and thyme.
  3. Pour over the salad and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment