I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Filling

In today's consumer society it can be very hard to buy affordable presents for people.  Usually if people want something they go out and get it for themselves when they see it instead of waiting to get it as a birthday or Christmas present.  I am as guilty as anyone of this so I can't really complain but it can make it difficult when you are trying to find a present for someone.
A couple of years ago my in-laws instated a gift giving rule where gifts they received had to be consumable.  This was such a great idea and provided me with a revelation because I love to bake and cook.  I have many family and friends who love my creations in the kitchen plus it meant I wouldn't have to spend hours in the store looking for the perfect gift for them.
I have two family members who need to eat gluten free diets but love chicken pot pies so I decided that for one of their presents I would make them gluten free chicken pot pies.  I started searching and I found this recipe.  I even enjoyed the filling (which says a lot because I am usually not a fan of things made gluten free).  So far everyone who has tried it has really enjoyed it as well. I am only posting the filling because I haven't found a pastry recipe that I am happy with yet but when I do I will post it.
A great thing about this recipe is it tastes great how it is but I am sure if you felt like adding other vegetables it would only add to the flavour.  Next time I try it will probably add some mushrooms to it.

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Filling

3 tbsp olive oil
3 cups cooked chicken, diced
3 medium carrots, finely chopped
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups green beans, chopped into about 1 inch lengths
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot minced
1/2 tsp salt
sprinkle of pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup white wine, divided
4 cups chicken broth, hot
2 tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot.  Add the vegetables, salt, pepper and thyme to the heated oil and sauté until the vegetables are beginning to wilt and begin to caramelize.
  2. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of white wine.  Add the hot chicken broth and stir to combine.
  3. Add the chicken to the mixture.
  4. Add the flour to the other 1/2 cup of white wine and whisk to combine.  Add to the hot broth mixture and stir until it begins to boil and thicken.  Remove from heat.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375.
  6. Place equal portions of the mixture into pie dishes or individual ramekin dishes and set them on a baking sheet.
  7. Top the pie(s) with dough circles.
  8. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment