I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 21 January 2013

West African Vegetable Stew

One of the girls I group up with and I have started to cook together once a week to try out some new recipes and techniques.  The was a recipe she picked out for us to make and it turned out so nice.  It was very nice served over quinoa.

West African Vegetable Stew

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch half slices
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
4 cups coarsely chopped spinach or kale

  1.  Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
  2. Add potatoes and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes. 
  3. Add raisins, cinnamon, red pepper, broth and water. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes.  
  4. Add chickpeas and spinach/kale. Heat through. 
  5. Serve over cooked rice or couscous, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment