I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 5 January 2013

Carrot Pesto Lasagna

I made this dish years ago but I lost the cookbook in a move since then.  Being six months pregnant, I am getting those weird food cravings and surprisingly this was one of them.  I decided to use my trusty pal Google to see if I could find a recipe that looked similar to the one I had made in the past.  I was very happy to find this recipe.  I decided it was going to be a good dish for a Friday night meal.
As a heads up, it is one that takes a longer time to prepare but it is easy and well worth the wait.  I had to stop my husband from trying to lick the bowl while it was baking.  Once he tried it he mentioned that it was one that I will have to make again, soon.  I don't know about soon but I will add this recipe my favourites list for future use.

Carrot Pesto Lasagna

2 oz butter
1/3 cup flour
3 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 lb grated cheese, old cheddar or gouda, grated
4 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp pesto (more for a stronger flavour)
1 3/4 lb carrots, grated
oven ready lasagna noodles
1/2 cheese (same as before), grated
  1. In a large bowl, combine the pesto and the grated carrots.
  2. In a heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter.  Add the butter and stir over a low heat until the mixture is golden and bubbling.
  3. Combine the milk, sour cream and black pepper in a bowl.
  4. Gradually add it to the pan, while stirring until the mixture is smooth.
  5. Stir constantly over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture boils and begins to thicken.  Boil further for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
  6. Stir in the cheese and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
  7. Gradually add the beaten eggs, stirring constantly. Mix well.
  8. Pour two thirds of the mixture over the carrots and pesto, stirring to combine. Reserve the rest for later.
  9. Starting with a layer of the carrot mixture, alternate the carrot mixture with the pasta for three layers (you should end with a pasta layer).
  10. Let sit for 15 minutes before cooking (allows the noodles to soften).
  11. Preheat the oven to 300.
  12. Bake for 30-40 minutes for it to set and to be firm to touch.
  13. Cover and set aside 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I cooked this recipe this evening and it came out entirely soupy and undercooked. The oven temperature seems wrong. Any thoughts? Also adding flour isn't mentioned in the instructions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete