I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Thursday 14 March 2013

Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup

Last year I had a huge harvest of tomatoes, I had more than I could eat reasonably so I decided to freeze them.  I still had one bag left in the freezer so I set out to find a recipe to use them up.  I came across this one from good old Martha Stewart and decided to give it a try.
I made a couple of changes to her recipe so I will let you know what I did differently. Her recipe calls for plum tomatoes but I used at least four different types in mine and it worked wonderfully.  I will use the recipe again in the future when I am trying to figure out what to do with a surplus of tomatoes.  She also does not puree the eggplant mixture but I prefer a blended soup.  Martha also suggest sprinkling some fresh cilantro on the top of it along with a rustic bread.  I served mine with beer bread and it was great!
3 lbs tomatoes (about 12) cut in half and cored
1/2 lb carrots, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
10 garlic cloves
4 tbsp olive oil
Coarse ground salt and pepper
1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs) cut into 3/4 inch chunks
1 can chickpeas, drained and washed
2 tsp curry powder


  1. Preheat the oven to 425.
  2. On a rimmed baking pan place tomatoes (cut side down), garlic and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil over top.
  3. On a second rimmed baking pan place the chick peas and eggplant.  Drizzle over remaining olive oil and add the salt, pepper and curry powder on top.
  4. Roast until tender, tossing the vegetables half way through.  It should take about 45 minutes.
  5. Peel off the tomato skins and discard the tomato skins.
  6. In a blender combine the ingredients in batches.  Blend until it reaches your desired consistency. 
  7. After you have blended each batch put it into a large pot.  Once you have added all the ingredients thin the soup with water until it reaches the thickness you prefer.
  8. Simmer and season with any additional spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment