I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Molten Chocolate Cake

One of my favourite desserts to get when when we go out for dinner is a molten chocolate cake.  There is something so satisfying when eating the warm chocolaty goodness after a nice dinner.  I was very happy when I came across this recipe because the turn out to be pretty easy to make.
They definitely impress you guest if you make them for a dinner party.  I have always made the batter right before putting it in the oven so I am not sure how it would work if you tried to make it in advanced.  I usually select this dessert when I have guests that I know won't mind me being in the kitchen a bit between courses.  It also give you a chance to digest a bit before dessert.
This recipe is enough for 4 ramekins.
For a twist, use peppermint extract instead of vanilla.

Molten Chocolate Cake

1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
6 tbsp butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
cocoa powder to garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Butter and flour the ramekins.  Tap out the excess flour.
  3. Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave, be careful not to let it seize.  Stir and set aside to cool
  4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla.  Then use and electric mixer to beat in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time.  Continue beating until eggs have tripled in volume and are a pale yellow colour.
  5. Fold the beaten egg mixture into the melted chocolate.
  6. Sprinkle with flour and gently fold and gently fold in until just blended.
  7. Divide the batter between 4 ramekins and place on a cookie sheet.
  8. Bake for 12-15 minute, until puffed and the centre has just set but not jiggly.
  9. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment