I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 23 March 2013

Velvety Coconut Soup

I was having some friends over for dinner and one of them had given me a cookbook for Christmas.  I thought it would be nice to choose a recipe out of the cookbook to make for dinner.  This was the first recipe that caught my eye and it went well as a starter for the other dishes I was planning on making for the night.
The soup was amazing, everybody wanted more.  If you are making it for 8 people, I suggest you make a double batch (I am glad I did).  If you want to make enough for two nights but want a different flavour for the next night, just add a bit of curry powder in with it.  It freezes well and is one you can make in advance.
Enjoy!

Velvety Coconut Soup

1/2 butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 tsp butter
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat the oven to 375.
  2. Gut the squash and brush it with olive oil.  Place the garlic inside the squash.  Cover the squash with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
  3. In a saucepan, sauté  the onion and ginger in butter over medium heat.
  4. Add the apple to the mixture and simmer for a few minutes.
  5. Scoop out the cooked butternut squash flesh and mash it with a fork.  Add it to the saucepan.
  6. Mix the coconut milk and chicken stock together before pouring it into the saucepan.
  7. Season with the cardamon, salt and pepper. 
  8. *Optional* Use a blender to puree the soup.
  9. Simmer for about 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment