I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 19 April 2013

Creamy Ginger Carrot Soup

I think ginger and carrot go so well together.  I am alway looking for new recipes to blend these two ingredients.  I do not usually make many soups in the warmer weather so while the soup seasons (3 of the four seasons where I live are cold enough for soup) is coming to an end I thought I would try this recipe.  I really liked the result and think it would be a great soup to use as a starter for a dinner party.  It tastes great fresh but it is really nice the next day once the flavours begin to mature.  It freezes well so if you want to make a big batch and save some for later, I am sure you won't be disappointed when you defrost it at a later date.

Creamy Ginger Carrot Soup

1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 spanish onion, coarsely chopped
2 lbs carrots, in 2 inch lengths
pinch of ground cinnamon
8 cups chicken stock
2 tsp fresh ginger root
1/2 c heavy cream
chopped fresh parsley or chives to garnish
  1. Place a heavy bottomed stockpot over medium heat and when it is hot, add the butter.  Once the butter has melted, add the onions and carrots.  Cook until they are tender and lightly coloured, about 10-15 minutes.
  2. Add the cinnamon, ginger and stock. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat allowing it to simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove the solids and place them in a blender. While blending, gradually add the cooking liquid and heavy cream.  
  4. To serve, garnish with extra heavy cream and some herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment