I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 6 April 2013

Italian Style Spicy Cauliflower

I think cauliflower is a vegetable that will often get passed up at the grocery store when people walk by it.  It is too bad because there are so many wonderful ways to use this vegetable.  This recipe is simple but adds a lot to a meal.  I made it for a dinner party and everyone loved it.  Even some of the picky, unadventurous eaters I know really enjoyed it.
If you are feeling adventurous or really like things on the spicy side you can always add more red chilli flakes.  The amount called for creates a nice mild-medium flavour.
1 head cauliflower
about 3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
2 tsp lemon zest
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
3 tbsp black or green olives, pitted and chopped

  1. Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and trim off the end.  Using the entire head, cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.  When the oil is hot add the cauliflower, allowing it to sizzle and start to brown.  Make sure to stir it often so the cauliflower does not scorch. 
  3. After the cauliflower has softened (about 3-4 minutes) add the salt, capers, lemon zest, garlic, chilli flakes and olives.  Continue cooking, stirring often, until the cauliflower is golden brown and the other ingredients have caramelized (about 10-15 minutes). As you stir, scrape the sides of the pan with your spoon to loosen the caramelized bits.  
  4. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment