I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Moroccan Style Vegetable Stew

I love all the different spices in the recipe and how well they combine together.  I think this is the first time I have had raisins in a soup, I was sceptical as to how it would turn out but the stew was wonderful.  All my guests really enjoyed it.
This is a nice and flexible recipe that allows you to make omissions, substitutions and additions as you please based on what you have available to you and your likes.

Moroccan Style Vegetable Stew

2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground or grated nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1 small butternut squash, peeled
1 large baking potato
3 carrots
1/4 cup raisins
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini
1 can chick peas
1/3 halved and pitted black olives
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
several drops of hot pepper sauce

  1. Heat a large dutch oven to medium heat and add the oil.  Once it is warm, add the onions and cook them until they have softened.
  2. Stir in the stock and simmer until the onions are very tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix the cumin, chill powder, cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
  4. Cut the squash, potato, carrots and zucchini into bite size pieces.
  5.  Toss the squash and potatoes with the spice mixture.
  6. Add the vegetables into the onion and broth mixture, along with the carrots, raisins, garlic and cloves.  Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium low.  Cover first with a sheet of aluminum foil and then with the lid.  Simmer gently until the vegetables are completely tender.
  7. Add the zucchini, chickpeas, olives, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered until the zucchini is tender (about 10 minutes).
  8. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce.
  9. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment