I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Roasted Garlic and Onion Hummus

I have always enjoyed hummus and found it to be a great way to have some extra protein.  The other day I was eating some hummus with my sister and she had mention how she once bought a caramelized onion hummus that was amazing but hasn't been able to find it since.  I thought that it must be easy enough to make a similar hummus to what she was talking about so I decided to search online for a recipe.  It didn't take me long to find a recipe to try.
It was very simple to follow this recipe and the end result tasted great!  So great that my husband decided to lick the bowl clean so that none of it was wasted.
A thought we had while eating the hummus was they only problem with this one is the time it takes to roast the garlic and onions for the recipe.  Then I thought that it would be easy enough to make enough for a couple of batches for the hummus at once and then freeze.  All you would have to do would be defrost the onion and garlic and through the rest of the ingredients into the blender.  Next time I make it I plan on trying this.  I will let you know how it works out.

Roasted Garlic and Onion Hummus

4 heads of garlic
1 large onion
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil 
1 can chick peas, rinsed
1/3 cup tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Cut off the tops of the heads of garlic and remove any of the papery skins from the sides.  Place them each individually on a sheet of tinfoil and drizzle with the vegetable oil before wrapping them up.
  3. Peel and cut the onion into 1/2 inch slices and place them onto a piece of tinfoil.  Drizzle with the oil and wrap it up.
  4. Place the garlic and onion foil packets onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until they begin to brown.
  5. Once the garlic has cooled squeeze out the cloves into a dish.
  6. In a food processor, combine the garlic, onion, chickpeas, tahini and lemon juice.  Process until it reaches the desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment