I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Thursday 11 April 2013

White Cake

Every year at Easter my family has a tradition of making a bunny cake.  For me it just isn't Easter without a bunny cake.  I have been in-charge of making the bunny cake for some time no.  It is nothing fancy, just to white cake rounds, some icing and LOTS of Easter candy.  Traditionally it is made from a cake mix but this year I thought I would step outside the box and try making one from scratch.  I didn't want to break from tradition too much so I made a simple white cake.
This recipe makes a nice, moist, fluffy white cake and didn't take too much longer than it would have if I had used a cake mix.  It did feel more gratifying to know that I had made it from scratch.
If you are not a fan or do not have almond extract replacing it with extra vanilla works well.

White Cake

2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cups butter
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

  1. Measure the flour, baking powder and salt.  Sift the ingredients together three times.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg whites until foamy.  Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, only beating until the meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat butter until it is smooth.  Cream in the remaining 1 cup of sugar.
  4. Alternately add the in the sifted ingredients and the milk, blending after each addition until smooth.
  5. Mix in the extract(s).
  6. Add the meringue and mix thoroughly into the batter.
  7. Spread the batter into two 9 inch rounds or a 15x10 pan.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then allow it to cool on a cake rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment