I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Whole Wheat Bread

I love having the smell of fresh baked bread in my house and there are few things as satisfying as eating  a fresh piece of bread with melted butter all over it.  I must admit I am not a huge fan of the kneading involved in making bread from scratch but I found a recipe that looked simple enough that I decided to try using the bread hook on my stand mixer instead of doing it by hand.  It worked well and raised very nicely.

Whole Wheat Bread

2 1/2 cups very warm water
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1tbsp instant yeast
2 cups white flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
  1. Stir together the water, lemon juice, honey and oil in a bowl.
  2. In a large bowl stir together the flours, salt and yeast.
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until combined.
  4. Either knead for 10 minutes or use a bread hook on a stand mixer for about 5 minutes.
  5. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and allow to double in size (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
  6. Punch the dough down and form into loaves (makes 3 regular sized loaves).  Place the loaves in well greased pans and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
  7. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment