I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Jam


I love strawberry jam and when I came across this recipe last year I was very excited to try it.  I have use balsamic vinegar and black pepper to enhance the flavour on store bought strawberries before so I could only imagine what it would do for jam!  Last year I had a small strawberry harvest so I only made one batch.  Once it matured the jam went really fast.  I am happy that this year I have plenty of strawberries so I am making my second batch of the year tomorrow.
This jam goes great with fine cheeses, meats or on a nice pice of artisan bread.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Jam

4 heaping cups strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
 1/4-1 tsp black pepper corns, cracked

  1. Place the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a non-reactive bowl.  Cover the bowl and allow the strawberries to macerate for about 24 horus.
  2. Sterilize the jars and warm the lids.
  3. In a wide, heavy bottomed pot bring the berry mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down.
  4. Remove the strawberries with a slotted spoon and continue to boil until the liquid begins to thicken.  
  5. Return the strawberries to the pot, and bring it back up to a boil.  Continue to boil, stirring frequently and skimming off any foam, until it reaches the setting point.
  6. Add the vinegar and pepper to taste; a full teaspoon will make quite a hot flavour - even 1/4 tsp will give a good hint of pepper.
  7. let the jam rest on low heat briefly and test to be certain it has reached the setting point, but be careful not to burn the jam.
  8. Ladle into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space, seal with warm lids and process for 10 minutes at a rolling boil.
  9. Remove the lid and turn off the heat.  Allow the jars to sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes to cool down.
*** Let this jam age for at least a month before trying it to allow the flavours to really mature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment