I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 1 July 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

There is nothing like home made pancakes to start a Saturday off right, however plain pancakes can get a little boring so I thought I would try to find a recipe with a twist to it. I found this recipe a couple of years ago and these pancakes are a little healthier than regular ones and they are very filling.  The little extra effort making the batter is worth it in my books.

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) old-fashioned or quick oats
  • 2/3 cup (160 ml) water
  • 4 tsp (20 ml) brown sugar
  • 4 tsp (20 ml) vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) whole-wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
  • 1 pinch baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) low-fat milk
  • 8 tsp (40 ml) low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 egg, beaten
1. Combine oats and water in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes, or until oats are creamy and tender. Stir in sugar and oil. Set aside to cool.
2. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, Baking Powder, baking soda, salt and Cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Add milk, yogurt, banana and egg to the cooled oat mixture and stir until blended.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix with swift strokes using a wooden spoon until just combined. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
5. Heat an frying pan over medium heat.
6. When hot, pour 1/4 cup (60 ml) pancake batter (per pancake) into pan. Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles and edges are slightly browned.
7. Flip and cook other side until underside is golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
8. Serve immediately, drizzled with maple syrup, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment