I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Spice Cake

I must admit, I was always sceptical of chocolate zucchini cake growing up and was hesitant to try it.  Maybe it was because my family didn't grow vegetables growing up so I never tried zucchini as part of anything.  When a friend of mine told me she was going to use chocolate zucchini cake for here wedding cake I was shocked and thought she was a little crazy.  Then came her wedding day and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the cake.  Since then I have tried to open my mind to experimenting more and I am glad I did.
For the past few years I have been using the same recipe for chocolate zucchini cake but the other day I decided to try a new one with a bit of spice to it.  I really enjoyed the end product and those who helped me eat it did as well.  This is another recipe that works well for using up a large zucchini.

Chocolate Zucchini Spice Cake

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 cups finely diced zucchini
1/4 cup chocolate chips
  1. Cream together the butter, oil and sugar.
  2. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour milk.  Beat together with an electric mixer.
  3. Mix together all of the dry ingredients and then add it into the cream mixture.  Use the mixer to combine.
  4. Stir in the zucchini.
  5. Pour into a 9x12 pan and sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
  6. Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment