I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Apple Braised Brussel Sprouts

One of my guilty pleasures while I am taking a study break is to look at some of the gossip magazine websites.  When I was looking through one of them this fall I came across this recipe and decided that I would like to try it.  I wasn't 100% sure if I would like how they turned out so I thought it would be best to make them for a bunch of people so that if I didn't like it I wouldn't be stuck eating all of them (I know, not very thoughtful of me but I am very particular in what I like).  I decided Christmas dinner would be the perfect opportunity to try them out because brussel sprouts are a family favourite and a must for Christmas dinner.
The sprouts turned out great! They were such a hit that they were the first thing to be finished off.  I definitely plan on using this recipe again and I am tempted to try adding some onions in with it.  I will let you know how it turns out when I get around to making them again.
This recipe isn't exact, it is one you need to use your judgement on how much you need to feed your guests.

Apple Braised Brussels Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts
Grape seed oil
Apple Juice
Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Wash the brussel sprouts and cut about a third of the bottom off.  Discard one outer layer of leaves and then peel off a couple of layers into a separate bowl to use later.  Then cut the brussel sprouts hearts in half.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan on high.  Add the halved brussel sprout hearts and toss frequently to lightly brown the sides.  After a minute or two turn down to medium.  Remove them from pan when they are crisp and tender.  Pat them off with paper towel and place in a serving dish.
  3. Add the apple juice and butter to the pan and allow it to reduce by half.  Once it has reduced add in the leaves that you saved from the first step and braise them in the liquid.
  4. Spoon the leaves over top of the top of the hearts and toss them to coat with the liquid.  You will not need all of the liquid.
* The original video can be seen here, it may help to watch it if you need clarification on instructions or to get an idea about the portions.


No comments:

Post a Comment