I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 8 July 2012

Baked Salmon Berry Custard

Almost without fail, when ever I hear the word custard I think of the Beatles song I am the Walrus.  The lyrics don't make custard sound appetizing but I have think custards are great none the less.
This is another recipe that I adapted from a raspberry recipe I found on Martha Stewart's website and I think it would work great for just about any fruit that you have on hand.  I found it quick and easy to through together and I think it would be a great one to make when entertaining because it can be served either hot or cold.  If you want to serve it hot, you can have everything ready in the blender before people arrive and set your oven to preheat mid way through dinner.  As you start to clear dinner, turn on the blender and spread the berries in the pan, pour in the custard and in a half hour you have dessert!
*** I took this picture before putting it under the broiler, it turned a nice golden brown before serving :)

Baked Salmon Berry Custard

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups salmon berries
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In oven, melt butter in a 9-inch pie plate, about 6 minutes.
    2. In a blender, combine milk, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla. Add melted butter and blend mixture until smooth, 30 seconds.
    3. Distribute berries evenly in pie plate and pour batter over top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and bake until slightly puffed and just set in middle, 20 to 25 minutes. Heat broiler and broil until top is deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.


To see the original recipe click here.

1 comment: