I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 16 July 2012

Spinach Bake

This recipe is one that I learned from my mother years ago and it is one she first made out of necessity but then started to make it regularly.  It all started when she was trying to prepare a spinach quiche for a potluck she was going to.  She had prepared the filling but when she went to grab the crust from the basement it was not there.  Instead of going to the store to grab another crust she decide to just put it in a dish and bake it as is.
The great thing about this recipe is that there are so many things that you can add or leave out depending on what you like and what you have available.  This dish freezes really well so I will often make a lot more than I plan on using and freeze the rest either as individual slices or in smaller dishes to use later.
I will give you the basic recipe and then at the bottom list some things I have added in the past.  The basic recipe does not call for many eggs but if you would like it to be more like a quiche just add more eggs.

Spinach Bake

2 packages chopped frozen spinach (thawed and squeeze out as much excess water as you can)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 eggs
3/4 and 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp dill
1 can tomato paste (optional)

  1. In a frying pan with a bit of olive oil, sauté the onion until it is soft. (Sometimes I will caramelize them).
  2. Add the garlic, dill and spinach to the pan. Stir to combine and take off the heat.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs.  Add the spinach mix as well as the 3/4 cup of feta. Blend these together until they are thoroughly combined.
  4. Grease a casserole dish and spread the mixture out evenly.  Bake at 375 F for about 40 minutes.  Take it out of the often and spread the tomato paste on top and sprinkle with the remaining feta cheese.  Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
*** In the past I have added things like peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and celery.  I am sure it would taste great with other additions to.

No comments:

Post a Comment