I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 23 August 2013

Zucchalmond Squares

Another day, another zucchini to use up.  That seems to be what is like these days but I am up for the challenge.  I have a whole folder on my computer dedicated to zucchini recipes I would like to try and there are a bunch in my different cook books that I would like to try.  Right now I seem to have a few of the large zucchinis to use up and whoever has grown zucchinis knows that this is a common occurrence if you are not sure to pick every small one or if you forget to pick for a couple of days in a row.
When trying a recipe for the first time I like to stay true to the listed ingredients and suggestions.  After I try the result I will sometimes make notes on the recipe for any changes I might make for the next time I use the recipe.  This square turned out very nicely but I think next time I would add some slivered or blanched almonds to it so there is a bit of a crunch.

Zucchalmond Squares

1 1/2 cups peeled and finely chopped zucchini
1 tsp almond extract
2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Sprinkle chopped zucchini with almond extract and set aside.
  2. Beat the egg whites with and electric mixer until they are foamy.
  3. Add the sugar and continue to beat thoroughly with the electric mixer.
  4. Mix together the dry ingredients and add to the egg and sugar mixture.
  5. Fold in the zucchini.
  6. Spoon into a greased 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
  7. Cool in the pan and then cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment