I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Sunday 16 December 2012

Mrs. H's Cranberry Orange Bread

This is a recipe that is a favourite in the neighbourhood I grew up in.  Every year one of the grade two teachers at the local school would have the parents come in and help her students make this bread.  This teacher retired recently and I remember talking to many of her past students and they all remember this bread and many of them still make it on a regular basis.  It tastes amazing and it is one I look forward to making and enjoying every year.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Mrs. H's Cranberry Orange Bread

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped cranberries
  1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or grease one 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
  2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
  3. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice; stir to mix and fold in raisins and cranberries.
  4. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
  5. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment