I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 1 December 2012

Rum Balls

One of my favourite treats during the holidays is home made rum balls.  I am not sure why, they were not a staple in my families house when it came to holiday baking and I think we only ever got them if they were a gift from a family friend or a client of my dad's.  At least to my recollection and I could be completely wrong but I belief an old family friend, who taught with my Grandma a long time ago, would give them to my family.  Regardless of where they came from, I remember taking a bite and closing my eyes, savouring the flavour while it melted in my mouth.  To me this is the only way to truly enjoy a rum ball.
Another reason I enjoy rum balls is that you can make a big batch early in the season and keep them in the freezer to pull out as you need them.
I am sure there are better recipes out there but this is the one I have used for the past couple of years and I find the end product quite enjoyable.  I know the first time I made them I was surprised at how straight forward they were to make.
Remember when you are making these that the quality of the rum will be reflected in the taste of the rum ball.  If you use a cheap rum with not the greatest flavour don't wonder why they rum balls are missing the true rum flavour.

Rum Balls

1/2 cup dark belgian chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 dark rum
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 1/2 chocolate cookie crumbs (ex oreo cookie crumbs)
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
powder or sprinkles of your choice for rolling (ex cocoa powder, icing sugar, chocolate sprinkles)
  1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl placed in a hot water bath.
  2. Mix in the sugar, rum and corn syrup.
  3. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients so they are blended well.  Then stir them into the chocolate mixture. Continue stirring until the mixture has a uniform consistency.
  4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover and refrigerate until it is firm.
  5. Form into small balls, no bigger than a walnut shell, and roll in your coating(s) of choice.
  6. Layer between parchment paper in an air tight container and store them in the freezer for up to a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment