I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 17 December 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut squash is one of my preferred guards and I had a big one to use up so I thought I would look for a new recipe.  I came across this one and it worked out well because I already had most of these items in my fridge.  I am glad I decided to make a double batch, I am looking forward to enjoying some on an evening where cooking is the last thing on my mind.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 small butternut squash, peeled and chunked
2 leeks, cut into small chunks
4 celery ribs, cut into small chunks
1 red onion, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 cup maple syrup
6 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place the butternut squash, leeks, celery, onion, carrots, garlic, olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves in a large bowl and toss until evenly mixed.
  3. Spread the vegetables on a large greased baking sheet and roast for 25min, or until browned.
  4. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large pot and add the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, maple syrup, vegetable stock and cider vinegar.
  5. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 30min or until the vegetables are tender.
  6. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf. Puree until smooth and strain to remove any chunks if desired.
  7. Return to the heat adjusting the consistency with water if required and adding salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment