I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Blueberry and Cherry Jam

Not only did I have a bunch of blueberries to use up this weekend but I also picked up a 20 lb box of cherries for an less than 50 cents a pounds so I had plenty to use up.  I was very excited to fined this recipe in one of my cook books because it meant I could use both cherries and blueberries in one recipe!
It was an easy enough recipe and the only real time consuming part was pitting all the cherries.  But the effort was worth it because the jam turned out beautifully.  It is one that you could use as a syrup if you heat it up and add a little water to it.

Blueberry and Cherry Jam

1 1/2 lbs sweet cherries 
3 cups blueberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  1. Stem and pit the cherries.  Finely chop the cherries.  You may use a food processor or an hand blender to do this but be careful not to puree the fruit.  Place the chopped cherries in a large heavy bottomed pot.
  2. Finely chop the blueberries in a food processor or with a hand blender.  Again be careful not to puree the berries.  Add to the cherry pot.
  3. Stir in the lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 3 minutes, stir constantly.
  4. Stir in pectin until it dissolves.  Bring it to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
  5. Add the sugar and stir the mixture to help the sugar dissolve.  Return to a full boil, stirring constantly and boil hard for 1 minute.
  6. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.  Stir for 5 to 8 minutes to prevent floating fruit.
  7. Ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of the rim.  Wipe the rims before applying prepared lids and rings.
  8. Process the jars in a boiling water canner for the appropriate time depending on the size of the jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment