I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 21 August 2012

Zucchini Relish

Zucchinis are great and easy to grow as long as you don't have too many slugs around.  A problem some people face if finding enough different recipes to use them in, especially the monster baseball bat ones.  Last year I started making Zucchini Relish and I was not able to make enough of it to keep my family satisfied throughout the year.  Personally I am not a huge fan of relish in general unless it is on a hotdog or hamburger but my family will eat it will bread, crackers or cheese.  I hope you enjoy it as much as they do.

Zucchini Relish

4 stalks celery, chopped
10 cups grated zucchini
4 large onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup pickling salt
3 cups vinegar
3 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 tbsp celery seed
2 1/2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 vinegar

Day 1

Combine the vegetables and pickling salt in a large stainless steel bowl or pan.  Let them sit overnight.

Day 2

  1. Drain the vegetables and rinse them well.
  2. In a large pot bring the vinegar (3 cups), sugar and seasonings to a boil.
  3. Remove from heat and add the vegetables.  Let it stand for two hours.
  4. Return to the stove and bring to a boil.  
  5. Dissolve the cornstarch in vinegar (1/2 cup) and add it to the boiling mixture.  Allow everything to simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Spoon into sterilized jars and seal.
  7. Process in a water bather for 20 minutes.
*** Makes about 15 half pints/500 mL jars

No comments:

Post a Comment