I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Pea and Broad Bean Humous

I have to thank my in-laws for helping me decide on trying this recipe, it had caught my eye before but I was always on the fence as to whether to try it because there were so many other recipes to try and we only grew enough broad beans for about 3 meals during the summer.  Yesterday my in-laws stopped by after a big harvest at their allotment and gave me a grocery bag full of peas and broad beans.  It was a pleasant surprise and I knew exactly what to do with them.

Pea and Broad Bean Humous

2 cups fresh peas (podded)
2 cups fresh broad beans (podded)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves peeled garlic
2 lemons zested, juice from 1
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  1.  Put a pot of salted water on to boil, once it boils add the peas and beans.  Cook for 3 minutes and then cool under cold water. Drain thoroughly again.
  2. Put the 4 tbsp of oil in a pan, heat gently and add the garlic.  Cook for 3 minutes, very very gently, until the oil has infused and the garlic has softened but not changed colour.
  3. In a food processor, blend the peas, beans and most of the zest.  Add the garlicky oil slowly as it processes.  
  4. Add the cloves of garlic, almost all of the lemon juice and 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.  Blend some more.  The humous should be swirling around the sides of the bowl, with not too fine of a texture.  Scrape down the sides if you need too.
  5. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
*** This goes great on some nice artisan bread with some goat cheese.
Link to the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment