I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sweet and Spicy Brine

I have brined turkeys before but this was the first time I had tried brining chicken.  It is a simple way to add extra flavour to meat in a relatively short amount of time.  I like that when you go to grill the meat that it doesn't go and leave a sticky mess to scrub off afterwards.

Sweet and Spicy Brined Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pork will work as well)
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
12 whole black pepper corns
1 chili pepper thinly sliced (leave the seeds in if you want a spicier brine)
2 whole bay leaves
1 cup hot water
3 cups cold water
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
  1. Place the salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, chill and bay leaves in a bowl and add the hot water.  Whisk together until the salt and sugar have dissolved; add the cold water and allow to sit to reach room temperature.
  2. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry. In a non-reactive baking dish arrange the meat so it lays flat.
  3. Arrange the garlic, onion and lemon slices over the meat.
  4. Pour the brine over the meat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning the meat once or twice.
  5. Preheat the barbecue and when you are ready to cook brush the grill with some oil.
  6. Cook the chicken on the grill, about 5-7 minutes a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment