I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 4 August 2012

Rice Pudding

I am not afraid to admit that I am very particular about what I eat.  There are things I don't like so I don't see the point in eating (or drinking) them.  I am a bit of a milk snob, I will only drink skim milk willingly.  The other day when I was in the store I was not paying much attention when I grabbed a container of milk and I grabbed 2% milk by mistake.  I didn't realize I had the wrong one until the next day when I was eating cereal and was it ever a shock.  Not wanting to waste I have been making pancakes and muffins trying to use it up because I hate to waste.  I ended up doing a google search for how to use up milk and I came across some great websites with wonderful suggestions.  I found this recipe for rice pudding and I remember liking it the one time I ate it as a child so I thought I might as well try it out.

Rice Pudding

1 cup rice (brown or white)
2 cups boiling water
4 cups milk
1/4-3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1tbsp butter
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Brown Rice Directions

  1. Boil rice in water for 15 minutes and drain off any excess water.
  2.  Add milk (and raisins if using) and bring carefully to a boil, medium heat, cover off, stirring often. Turn to low, cover and cook 60-90 minutes until the pudding is thick and milk seems to have all been absorbed. Don’t stir too often during this time, but watch for scorching on the bottom of the pan. The finished product will have the consistency of a thick tapioca pudding, but it will gel up a bit after cooling. 
  3. Turn off heat, then add sugar, vanilla and butter. Garnish with cinnamon

White Rice Directions

  1. Boil rice in water for 3 minutes and then drain off the excess water.
  2.  Add milk (and raisins if using) and bring carefully to a boil, medium heat, cover off, stirring often. Turn to low, cover and cook  for 15-30 minutes or until pudding is thick and milk seems to have all been absorbed. Don’t stir too often during this time, but watch for scorching on the bottom of the pan. The finished product will have the consistency of a thick tapioca pudding, but it will gel up a bit after cooling. 
  3. Turn off heat, then add sugar, vanilla and butter. Garnish with cinnamon
Adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment