I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 10 August 2012

Vanilla Blueberry Jam

I love the taste of vanilla and when I saw this recipe I thought I should try it.  You can always save the vanilla bean used in this recipe again if you rinse it and dry it.  It is always nice to put one in with white sugar to infuse the sugar with a bit of a vanilla flavour.
This jam turns out having a nice subtle hint of vanilla that is not too overpowering.

Vanilla Blueberry Jam

6 cups blueberries
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 vanilla bean
1 box powder pectin
6 cups sugar
  1. Sterilize jars and warm lids.
  2. In a thick bottomed wide pot crush the blueberries.  Add the water, lemon juice and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil.
  3. Remove from heat, then add the pectin and stir in until completely dissolved in the fruit mixture.
  4. Return to stove on low hear and simmer for five minutes.  Remove from hear, cover and let stand for 30 - 120 minutes (the longer the standing time the stronger the vanilla flavour).
  5. Return to the stove and bring up to a boil.  Remove it from the heat and add the sugar.  Stir unit the sugar dissolves completely.
  6. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring frequently until it reaches the setting point.  Skim off any foam.
  7. Remove the vanilla bean and ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace.  Seal with warm lids and process for appropriate amount of time depending on your jar size.

No comments:

Post a Comment