I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Blueberry Lemon Lavender Jam

I first made this jam last year and it was a huge hit amongst everyone who tried it.  If you don't like lemons, lavender or blueberries this may not a jam for you but if you do, this is one you will love!  A couple of my friends have even asked if I can make them a whole batch for them to keep themselves.  They want/need to have more than just the jar they get a Christmas to last them the whole year.
This jam is one that takes two days to make but it is worth it.
On a side note, the first batch I made of this jam this year turned in to a bit of a disaster.  I made a mistake in not selecting a pot that would be big enough during the rolling boils stage for all the jam to fit.  The jam started boiling over the edge of the pot so I had to quickly remove it from the heat.  I didn't have a good grip and manage to spill some of the jam onto my arm and on the kitchen floor.  It got everywhere in the kitchen and burned half of my forearm.    I wasn't sure the best way to deal with the burn so I called my in-laws for advice (my mother-in-law is a retired nurse).  They were great because arrived at my house not too long after ready to help.  My mother-in-law went to work on examining and treating my arm and my father-in-law went straight to work on cleaning the mess I had made in the kitchen.  The kitchen was put back together in no time and I must thank my in-laws for a job well done!

Blueberry Lemon Lavender Jam

3 lemons
2 tbsp dried lavender
2 cups water
6 cups blueberries
6 cups sugar

Day 1:

  1. Scrub the lemons in warm, soapy water to remove the wax, pesticides and or dirt from the peel.  Slice them as thinly as possible and then chop them into pieces.
  2. Tie the lavender into a jelly bag or a piece of cheesecloth.
  3. In a large, deep pot with a thick bottom, cover the lemons with the water and then add the lavender.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  
  4. Turn off the heat and let the  pan cool.  Cover and let stand overnight.

Day 2:

  1. Sterilize jars and warm lids.
  2. Add the blueberries to the lemon mixture and crush them with a potato masher or slotted spoon.
  3. Add the sugar to the mixture, stirring until it completely dissolves.
  4. Bring the mixture to a full, rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, and continue to boil until it reaches the setting point.  Remember lemons have lots of pectin and the gel stage may arrive rather suddenly.
  5. Remove the lavender bag from the pot.
  6. Ladle the jam into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 in of headspace.  Seal with warm lids and process for 10 minutes at a rolling boil.
  7. Remove the canner lid, turn off the heat, and allow the jars to sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes to cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment