I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 23 July 2012

Mushroom and Broccoli Crustless Quiche

Last week my husband and I ate out a couple times and we didn't get through all the produce that we usually do so today my task was to use it up before it went bad.  What I usually do when I am in this situation is type one of the ingredients I have to use in a search bar and start looking through the recipes it comes up with.  I was excited to find this recipe because it contained all of the ingredients I had to use up.
When making a recipe for the first time I try to be good and follow the recipe to the letter, today was one of the days where I had to make a minor substitution but I don't think it changed the overall flavour of the dish.  Where the recipe calls for bread crumbs, I used wheat germ simply because I didn't have any bread crumbs.  It worked well so if you are in the same predicament for this or another recipe give wheat germ a try as a substitution.
This is a great dish that you can freeze, I doubled the recipe and put one in the freezer to have on a busy night when I am not up for cooking.  If there are any leftovers and you do not feel like having them the next day you could also freeze portion sized servings to take for lunch.

1 tbsp butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup grated cheese (old cheddar, swiss, mozzarella)
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (or wheat germ)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 diced red pepper (optional)
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
  1. In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté until the moisture has evaporated.
  2. Add the garlic and broccoli and sauté until the broccoli is bright green (about 2 minutes).  Spoon the mixture into a lightly grease pie plate.
  3. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and the milk.  Stir in the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, basil and cheese.
  4. Pour over the mixture in the pie plate and gently stir to combine.  Sprinkle with the diced red pepper if you are using it and the parmesan cheese.
  5. Bake at 400 F for 25-30 minutes and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment