I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Clementine Cake

These days more and more people are discovering they have a gluten sensitivity and when entertaining it is nice to be able to accommodate those who have these issues.  I have not done a lot of gluten free baking and I don't usually like the texture of the stuff you can purchase at the grocery stores.  I like this recipe because it doesn't really call for anything out of the ordinary and I already have the majority of the ingredients for the recipe in my kitchen on a regular basis.
This recipe calls for poudre douce which is a medieval spice blend that can be hard to come across already combined.  At the bottom of the recipe I have written out one way to make this blend.  I love this blend and use it in many recipes.
I know clementine oranges are not really in season right now but if you can get your hands on some this is a very refreshing gluten free dessert that has always been a huge hit whenever I have made it.

Clementine Cake

  • 4 - 5 unpeeled clementines
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (280 ml) sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) ground almonds
  • 1 Tbsp (15 ml) poudre douce
  • 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
  • 1. Place unpeeled clementines in a pot and cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 – 1 1/2 hours. Drain and cool.
    2. Cut each clementine in half and remove seeds.
    3. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
    4. In a food processor or by hand, finely chop clementines, peel on. Set aside.
    5. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, almonds, poudre douce and baking powder. Mix well, then add clementines.
    6. Pour mixture into a greased spring-form pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. (Cover the cake with foil after 40 minutes to prevent top from burning.)
    7. Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan on cooling rack.

  • Poudre Douce 
  • tablespoons ginger
  • tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • teaspoon clove (ground)
  • teaspoon nutmeg
  1. Combine these together and store extra for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment