I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Raspberry Jam

Out of all the fancy jams that I have made and tried, I still think a simple raspberry jam is one of my favourites.  Raspberries always make me think of my childhood backyard in the summer.  We always had a raspberry patch and were to we could go outside and have some raspberries for dessert.

I enjoy making raspberry jam because it is so simple to make because of the high pectin that naturally occurs in raspberries.  When making raspberry jam I use a simple one to one ratio of raspberries and sugar.  This means I can adjust the size of the batch to the amount of raspberries I have available to me. I find this handy because I try to avoid buying berries to make jam so I only have to use what I pick out at the farm.

Raspberry Jam

equal parts raspberries and sugar
    (if you have 4 cups raspberries uses 4 cups of sugar)
  1. Gently was the berries.
  2. In a heavy bottomed pot heat the berries until they reach the boiling point.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and add the sugar,  gently stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
  4. Return the mixture to the heat, bring it up to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.  Stir frequently as it continues to boil until it reaches the setting point.
  5. Skim off any foam and ladle into serialized jars.  Leave 1/4 inch of headspace.  Seal with warm liquids and process for 10 minutes at a rolling boil for 250 mL jars and 15 minutes for 500 mL jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment