I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 9 July 2012

Energy Bars (FruNuS Bars)

For a while now I have been looking for a recipe to try for making your own energy bars.  My husband is a competitive rower and he will often eat an energy bar after practice or between races.  We also spend a lot of time working out at my dad's farm and it is nice to have something healthy to munch on to give you a little extra pep instead of snacking on something that is convenient such as a bag of chips. Anyway I can across this great blog called Road to the Farm and I found this recipe for energy bars.  I must admit I did a slight modifications to the recipe posted because of what I had in my kitchen.  I am really happy with the final product and I am sure I will be making them again soon.

FruNuS Bars 

(FRUit NUt Seed)

15 dried dates
1 cup dried berries (I used a dried cherry and berry mix)
1/2 cup water
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 flax seed
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup coconut

  1. In a food processor pulse the salt, almonds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds until they are coarsely chopped.  Place these in a bowl to use for later.
  2. Combine the water, dried dates and berries and process on pulse until a thick paste is formed.  If your processor is struggling add a little extra water.  
  3. Slowly start adding the first mixture to the second while processing.
  4. Once the ingredients are combined put them into a bowl and mix in the sesame seeds and the coconut.
  5. Place the mixture between two sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll it out to your desired thickness.  I did it to about 3/4 of and inch.  Then slice them into bars.  Wrap these bars in parchment paper or plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. It would certainly be interesting to find out how much energy you get in a bar. I find they're as effective as a powerbar or Cliff bar, but much lighter and easier to eat.

    ReplyDelete