I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Saturday 14 July 2012

Strawberry Kiwi Jam

I love strawberries, the are one of my favourite fruits and I try to think of many ways to enjoy this fruit throughout the year.  Unfortunately we only have one deep freezer to store a years worth of berries in and we like most berries so I have to find other ways to preserve this fruit to enjoy throughout the year. One way I like to do this is by making different jams and I feel that variety is the spice of life so I like to try different recipes.  I have used a few recipes that combine with other fruit because I have not had a big harvest of strawberries yet this year so I haven't had enough to make a batch of plain strawberry jam.  I was happy to find this recipe because I love the strawberry and kiwi combination.

Strawberry Kiwi Jam

2 cups crushed strawberries
2 cups finely chopped kiwifruit (about 6)
1 package powdered pectin
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  1. In a large, deep, heavy bottomed pot, combine the strawberries and kiwis.  Stir in the pectin until it has dissolved.  Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
  2. Add the sugar and return to a full boil while stirring constantly to help dissolve the sugar.  Boil hard for on minute.
  3. Remove from the heat and skim off any foam.  Stir for five to eight minutes to prevent floating fruit.
  4. Ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of rim; wipe rims.  Apply prepared lids an rings tighten to the rings until just fingertip-tight.
  5. Process the jars in a boiling water canner for ten minutes.  Transfer the jars to a towel lined surface and let rest at room temperature until they have set.  Check the seals and refrigerate any unsealed jars for up to three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment